Updated: Nov 26, 2020
Learn how to make your own reusable fabric face mask with these simple steps...
First things first, you'll need to download our paper patterns, and you can do so by right clicking and saving the following two images. The images are A4 in size and you'll need to print them at 100% printer scale.
And now for the instructions...
1. Cut out the paper patterns and pin them to the fabric. Cut out x1 pair of each pattern piece. Seam allowance has been included.
2. With the right side of fabric face to face, stitch pattern piece #1 together along the curved edge. (Image One)
3. Cut notches into the curved edge (Image Two), and iron the seam open.
4. Repeat step 2 and 3 with the remaining two pattern pieces.
5. Iron down and Stitch a 1cm rolled hem on pattern piece #2 and pattern piece #3, as indicated on the paper pattern. (Image Three)
6. With right sides face to face stitch the main to the lining along the top and bottom edges. (Image Four)
7. Cut notches along the curved edge, turn inside out, and iron down the seam.
8. Stitch a 5mm top stitch along both top and bottom pieces. (Image Five)
9. Iron a 2cm rolled hem (with 1cm allowance) at each end of the mask. This rolled hem creates the channel through which the elastic passes.(Image Six)
10. Top stitch down this rolled hem.
11. Cut roughly 22-25cm of Elastic (depending on the shape of your head) and pass it through the channel.
12. Tie a knot at the end of the elastic.
13. Try the mask on and adjust the tightness of the elastic until it fits correctly. Push the knot in the elastic inside of the channel for comfort.
Happy stitching everyone!